How and Why to Get a Michigan Builders License

How and Why to Get a Michigan Builders License

How and Why to Get a Michigan Builders License

If you’re interested in renovating homes, or becoming a handyman or contractor in the state of Michigan, you’ll want to get your Michigan Builders License. In Michigan, a license is required for any project that will cost over $600.

Once you’ve decided to get your license, you’ll need to decide which license to pursue. Michigan offers three types of general contractor’s licenses.

1. Michigan Builders License

This license covers demolition, home improvement, replacement, alterations, and repairs. This is the most common type of builders license in Michigan. A 60 hour pre-licnese course and submitting an application and passing an exam is required to receive a Michigan Builders License. For for licensing information you can visit the Residential Builders page at the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. (LARA) 

2. Michigan Maintenance and Alteration Contractors License

This also a very common license and has the exact same license requiremnts as the Michigan Builders License including completing an approved 60 hour pre-license course. The license covers the following trades:

  • Carpentry
  • Concrete
  • Excavation
  • Insulation Work
  • Masonry
  • Painting and Decorating
  • Siding
  • Roofing
  • Screen and Storm Sash
  • Gutters
  • Tile and Marble
  • House Wrecking
  • Swimming Pools
  • Basement Waterproofing

3. Michigan Commercial Builders License

This license is governed by your municipality, not the state. You will need this license to work on school buildings, offices, and commercial buildings.

Once you’ve decided on which license to pursue, make sure that you meet the basic requirements:

  • You must be 18+ years old
  • You must have a valid Michigan driver's license
  • You must complete 60 hours of pre-licensure courses
  • You must pass your residential or maintenance and alteration contractor exam
  • You must pay all application and license fees

Once you’ve passed your exam, make sure that you register your business with the Michigan Department of Treasury and get insurance for your business. All private employers in Michigan are required to have Workers Compensation. is the perfect place to start your career in the construction industry!