Mosquitos might be the only bad thing about summertime. The nice weather brings with it these little pests that can cause some big problems.
Not only do they leave behind annoying, itchy welts, but mosquitos can also carry some very serious diseases with them, infecting those unlucky enough to be bitten.
Our friends over at DIY Ready have come up with a great solution by upcycling an old bottle into a mosquito trap!
This cheap and easy DIY will have you mosquito-free in no time.
This is a great item to add to your preps as well as a great thing to have around for all sorts of outdoor activities like summer barbecues and camping trips.
Read on and learn how to make your own homemade mosquito trap with a soda bottle and some brown sugar and yeast.
Summer is right around the corner and you know what that means – MOSQUITOS. Here is a simple way to rid yourself of this problem.
You will need:
- 1 Soda Bottle
- 1 Bag of Brown Sugar
- 1 Jar of Yeast
- 1 Knife
- 1 Measuring Cup
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
Your bottle should look like this:
2. Mix 1/4 cup of brown sugar with hot water.
3. Pour the sugar into the bottom half of the cut plastic bottle.
4. Pour 400 ml (apprx 1 3/4 cup) of very hot water. Let cool.
5. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
6. You will only need a pinch or two. Pinch the yeast between your fingers and add to the mixture. You do not need to stir it. Let it sit for awhile.
7. When you’re finished, place the bottle top upside down facing the mixture. The mosquitos are attracted to the liquid and will fly into the opening. They (most likely) will not be able to escape once inside the bottle.
When you’re all finished your mosquito trap should look like this: